Re: [opensuse-translation] updating update desktop files again
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:21:13 +0200
Fredag den 28. maj 2010 15:47:55 skrev Karl Eichwalder:
Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
IMHO you should stop allowing the translation of these files in
openSUSE, since they could be translated in upstream and they should
be translated in upstream.

Unfortunately, in the past it did not for all teams. Small teams
(1-person teams!) are often not inclined to participate in all the
upstream projects. But nevertheless they would like to translate "all"
of openSUSE.

If this is no longer valid, we could change our strategy.

The current way is good imo.

Upstream translations are used "by default". If an openSUSE translator cares
to edit a few highly visible .desktop translations, he _can_. It's no
different than than adding some minor patches to some package, instead of
using it 100% vanilla - which is done all the time. It's not like we're
forking the entire i18n world like Ubuntu.

And the problem in this case is usually .desktop files that _are_ alerady
translated upstream, but where the openSUSE translator disagrees a little bit
with the choices of the upstream translators. So even if you did bother to get
in touch, and suggest a change, there's prolly a good chance of it being
rejected.