Re: [opensuse-translation] 11.3 Translation Planning?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 14:57:18 +0100

On 2010-03-04 16:32, Leandro Regueiro wrote:
Ok, I'll bite :-)

Well, seems pretty clear that you don't want to understand, but I'll bite
anyway...

Carlos, you are trying to use Lokalize as you did with Kbabel, but
they aren't the same program.

No, but lokalize is claimed to be the successor.

Look, the lokalize about box says:

- --------
Lokalize
Version 1.0 (but the rpm is
lokalize-4.3.5-0.1.4.x86_64)
Using KDE 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5 "release 0")

About

Computer-aided translation system.
Do not translate what had already been translated.

(c) 2007-2009 Nick Shaforostoff
(c) 1999-2006 The KBabel developers
- -----------

It recognizes the kbabel inheritance, thus I expect similar funtionality and,
at least, the same set
of features. If I get less, it is no use. If I can't understand it, it is no
use.

I try to configure the project. What is ID?

Whatever ID you want for the project

Not right, according to the tips when hovering the mouse. It must be the same
ID for all opensuse
projects you do, it is not the name for the project.

what is the root folder?

Where you have your (main) checkout

It doesn't seem to be right, because then it includes several pot directories,
and several po
directories. See the tree in my previous post.

The glossary?

The glossary.. if you have/want one

You have http://es.opensuse.org/Traduccion/Glosario or more recent:
http://www.vertaal.com.ar/iterm/opensuse/es/list/

Yes, of course I have that. But I can't import it to lokalize.

But you may find some uncomfortable with switching from your browser
to Lokalize (or whatever). You may think "integrating the glossary
directly in the translation program will be great". If you implement
this well you can see all the glossary entries from the words that are
in the current english phrase, and you can copy them to the
translation field with one click (or one keystroke).

This is what you can do with Lokalize. But if you want to do that you
have to get the glossary in TBX format (an ISO standard for
terminology, aka glossaries), or you can make the glossary word by
word using Lokalize (Go to Utilities->Glossary. Maybe this is wrong
since I am translating from Galician to English). But frankly I prefer
to have an TBX file (a glossary file) and import it to Lokalize.

Yes, I see the advantage, but I don't have such a file, and I don't know how to
make it.
Gabriel, are you game?

The alternate translation folder?

Say you translate to pt, maybe you want to look at how pt_br translates the
same stuff.
This is an alternate language. To see how was translated in another
language some really difficult string.

Ok, yes, I do that sometimes.

How do I change the
fuzzy status?

By translating it or pressing Ctrl+U?

On the left part I see something called "units". What is an unit? I see a
link for "add a note". What is a note? Where are the comment fields?

How about you just ignore the features you don't understand/want/need?

Lokalize has integrated support for XLIFF, an standard translation
format (not ISO standard yet), and maybe this are things related to
that format.

Mmm.

I really think you should give a try to Lokalize. Poedit has clearly
few functionalities, and Kbabel is pretty outdated. If you have
complains about Lokalize send them to the developer to help him
improve Lokalize.

Yes, I do want to use lokalize. I have been looking at it since some years now.
It has promise, but
is is not there yet.
But I really need features like syntax checking, which kbabel has. I'm sure the
developper knows
about this, and he will not program it in time for this round.

And the memory does not work here... I can't train it.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))