Re: [opensuse-translation] 11.3 Translation Planning?
  • From: Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 16:32:01 +0100
Ok, I'll bite :-)

Well, seems pretty clear that you don't want to understand, but I'll bite
anyway...

Carlos, you are trying to use Lokalize as you did with Kbabel, but
they aren't the same program.

I try to configure the project. What is ID?

Whatever ID you want for the project

what is the root folder?

Where you have your (main) checkout

The  glossary?

The glossary.. if you have/want one

You have http://es.opensuse.org/Traduccion/Glosario or more recent:
http://www.vertaal.com.ar/iterm/opensuse/es/list/

But you may find some uncomfortable with switching from your browser
to Lokalize (or whatever). You may think "integrating the glossary
directly in the translation program will be great". If you implement
this well you can see all the glossary entries from the words that are
in the current english phrase, and you can copy them to the
translation field with one click (or one keystroke).

This is what you can do with Lokalize. But if you want to do that you
have to get the glossary in TBX format (an ISO standard for
terminology, aka glossaries), or you can make the glossary word by
word using Lokalize (Go to Utilities->Glossary. Maybe this is wrong
since I am translating from Galician to English). But frankly I prefer
to have an TBX file (a glossary file) and import it to Lokalize.

The template folder?

Your checkout of POTs - if you have/want one

The branch folder?

In case you want to translate e.g. trunk _and_ 11.2 (branch) at the same time.

The alternate translation folder?

Say you translate to pt, maybe you want to look at how pt_br translates the
same stuff.

This is an alternate language. To see how was translated in another
language some really difficult string.

Again, I go to the help file, and under "project" I get just 3 lines of
 useless text.

Most of the options have detailed tooltips - try hovering your mouse over
stuff for a sec.

How do I display, say, the entire yast/po/es directory, list how many
 messages each one has (total, translated, fuzzy), check syntax, load one
 of them?

project view

Translation memory.

How do I train it? I want to tell it to scan the entire yast/po/es tree so
 that it learns. Again, the help file explains nothing. At least, I
 understand nothing.

Just drag and drop your folder with PO-files on the translation memory
toolview, and wait a couple of minutes.

How do I change the
 fuzzy status?

By translating it or pressing Ctrl+U?

On the left part I see something called "units". What is an unit? I see a
 link for "add a note". What is a note? Where are the comment fields?

How about you just ignore the features you don't understand/want/need?

Lokalize has integrated support for XLIFF, an standard translation
format (not ISO standard yet), and maybe this are things related to
that format.

How do I tell lokalize to check the syntax of the translation and then, go
 to the errors found? I absolutely need this.

You don't. Use some script, there are plenty of them.

Frankly, I can't use lokalize. I can not make head or tails of it. It needs
 plainly written help, for non programmers. For people used to kbabel.
 Explaining what is every thing, give examples, explain the intended
 workflow.

Either I use kbabel again, under 11.0, or poedit.

Well. Enjoy.

I really think you should give a try to Lokalize. Poedit has clearly
few functionalities, and Kbabel is pretty outdated. If you have
complains about Lokalize send them to the developer to help him
improve Lokalize.