Re: [opensuse-translation] 11.3 Translation Planning?
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 09:23:59 +0100
2010/3/4 Carlos E. R. <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 2010-03-03 09:17, Martin Schlander wrote:
Onsdag den 3. marts 2010 00:36:18 skrev Carlos E. R.:
On Tuesday, 2010-03-02 at 23:14 +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
Lokalize is much better than KBabel ever was - and has been for a while.

Las time I looked Lokalize held a lot of promise - but that is, promise. I
couldn't figure how to configure it, and I did not find some functionality
I need.

You guys must be crazy ;-)

The diffs for fuzzy messages alone saves so much time that it can't be
exaggerated and is well worth the switch (supported by openSUSE PO-files
since
11.2 cycle).

And there's so much else Lokalize does to help you translate better and
faster. Sometimes it's almost too easy.

You need to try it again (>= 4.3 version particularly). The time will be a
good investment.

Ok, I'll bite :-)

In my other machine, which has oS 11.2 with gnome, I told YaST to install
lokalize and all its
dependencies. It runs.

The configuration is confusing.

What is "approved status"? If I press "help" on that dialog, I get the
"lokalize handbook", not
pointed at the page explaining that dialog.
Approved is not fuzzy anymore, after a review from the team leader. It
isn't compulsary, you can ignore it.

I try to configure the project. What is ID? what is the root folder?
Maybe the one with all branch in it (trunk, stable...)
The glossary?
The glossary is a dictionary of translated word to define yourself
(select a word in orignal message and in translated message and
right-click>Add to glossary. You can make a glossary for many projects
or import a glossary from someone else (your team).
The template folder?
The folder with the pot files. It isn't use with openSUSE but it's
usefull for KDE (and other projects). With the template and
translation folder defined, you'll be able in the overview to see all
files PO or POT in the same tree. You can click on an empty
translation (a POT) to start a translation, when saving it'll do in
the PO folder with PO extension.
The branch folder?
The branch folder is the folder of your project translation's version
(trunk, stable, for me it's ~/po/opensuse-trunk for the trunk, in this
folder I've got the subfolder a folder called wa updated by the svn
with the po files.

The alternate translation folder?
A folder with old translation files to sync? Not sure.
Again, I go to the help file, and under "project" I get just 3 lines of
useless text.

How do I display, say, the entire yast/po/es directory, list how many
messages each one has (total,
translated, fuzzy), check syntax, load one of them?
Project > Project overview?

Translation memory.

How do I train it? I want to tell it to scan the entire yast/po/es tree so
that it learns. Again,
the help file explains nothing. At least, I understand nothing.
Choice or create a translation memory, then click Add data and select
yast/po/es and wait.

I open a .po file.
Open first a project, go to the overview and click on the po file.

What is "phase"? Under the file menu.

I see leds for "untranslated" and "not ready". I don't see "fuzzy". What is
"not ready"? How do I
get the fuzzy status displayed? How do I change the fuzzy status?
Not ready is fuzzy. To change the fuzzy status you've got this red stamp button.

On the left part I see something called "units". What is an unit? I see a
link for "add a note".
What is a note? Where are the comment fields?

How do I tell lokalize to check the syntax of the translation and then, go to
the errors found? I
absolutely need this.

Frankly, I can't use lokalize. I can not make head or tails of it. It needs
plainly written help,
for non programmers. For people used to kbabel. Explaining what is every
thing, give examples,
explain the intended workflow.
It's right there is not much documentation, but as non programmer I
didn't find it right. I had just to adapt a bit myself.

Either I use kbabel again, under 11.0, or poedit.
KBabel for 11.2 is there:
http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/KDE:KDE3/openSUSE_11.2/kdesdk3-translate.ymp

You don't need to keep 11.0 just for KBabel...

- --
Cheers / Saludos,
Cheers aswell,

Djan

               Carlos E. R.
               (from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" GM (Elessar))