Re: [opensuse-translation] l10n process improvement
  • From: Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:41:41 +0100
Rating on a % of KDE, Gnome and openSUSE has no sens, as I said, want
there are loads of small programs not widely used on both desktops.

Somehow we have to collect the impact rate of translations. No idea how.

Essentials for KDE makes more sense. But again, openSUSE doesn't ship
unofficial translations of KDE, so it's already the case. Other key
applications are OpenOffice and Firefox. For these we can say: OK it's
officially localised. For Gnome I don't have a clue of how to deal
with it.

They release the list of the supported languages (base gui 80%+) in
the release notes http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.28/

Or it can be done on the packages shipped on the OSS repo.

And what about GNU tools ;-)
it's more important than it looks. This is in the deep, but lots of
program has been built on it.

Idea:
Yast: X % yes/no
we should find the important modules (eg. install and modules with
default installation is a must, s390 not really counts)

How can we get statistics about module usage from the openSUSE users?

lcn: X % yes/no
same as yast

Gnome: ???? yes/no
there is official yes/no

KDE: official KDE released language yes/no
Firefox: official Firefox released language y/n
OpenOffice: official released language y/n
other important projects, application?

need a survey or we have to judge it by ourself

How to make stats about all these projects? That's a lot of work to do
for all languages, indeed and I'm not sure that scripty can do it.

Well I have been working on it for years. And I really hope I could
show something. This script is analyze the factory source itself. But
we will see....

And there we don't speek about quality, only abou %age. I remembered
You cannot measure the quality easily, however we can check few
things: consistency.

for example, how we translate Cancel?
http://en.hu.open-tran.eu/suggest/cancel
not consistent :(
we have to improve it, because for the users this is one system not
small pieces on each others.

There is no good way, except feed-back from a release to another, to rate
that.

But again, if something is done, I'm for the warning, not the withdraw
from the translations.

agree

No personal problem with you Kalman, if you pass and visit me in
Belgium, I'll offer you a free homemade beer with pleasure ;-).

thanks, I can't wait :)

best,
kalman