Re: [opensuse-translation] l10n process improvement
  • From: Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:10:12 +0100
Hi Jean,

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/11/7 Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

idea 5
We have to build l10n volunteers respect and community. I am not sure
why we should deliver languages where translations are under 75%. (at
Mozilla this is 100%). We have to contact to the translators and find
out what happens and maybe we have find more/new volunteers.

That's not very respectfull for small or minority languages that
strive to have the most translated they can, dealing with openSUSE,
Gnome, KDE, Mozilla...

Try to find new volounteers does not always
succeed. So what? Throw the language away? What's the point to have
Yast 100% translated (even some very specific and technician parts) if
half of the desktop is untranslated?

First of all, thanks for your feedback. I am just talking about ideas
here. There are no decisions (and I am not the one who could or want
decide anything alone).

About the translation percent. I am not talking about YaST, I am
talking about the distribution we release. And now I see I was not
clear. The localization is the hardest part when we are talking about
a whole distribution. How can I say to a school, government or users
that openSUSE is localized, when it's not. And we have no idea at all
the l10n status of any release. We really don't know what is missing
or what we have. The stat page is represent 5% (or less) of the
distribution and this is not good overview.

I think we have to find out when we could say something is localized.
Which components are key and where should we improve. Maybe we have to
find new contributors on different languages where there was no commit
for years.

On KDE, the language is released if the essentials are met:
desktop_kdelibs.po : 75%
desktop_l10n.po : 75%
kdebase : 75%
kdelibs4.po : 90%

These files/folders are about 20% of the whole KDE project but they
are the core. The other parts are not evaluated for release.

On GNOME, they don't care.

According to the stats, following your idea would make 23 languages
only. There are 60 languages translated on openSUSE.
http://i18n.opensuse.org/stats/trunk/toplist.php

Speaking of my case, I'm very proud to have managed to come from 45%
to 57% from 11.1 to 11.2 alone, despite I try to find other
translators.

We should and we are proud of this effort as well.

And I work also on KDE and Firefox (with a very few other
people). Should I give up or spend all my hometime translating it? Or
stop translating KDE to be sure openSUSE gets 75%?

No, we should build community for each languages. The one man show not
works well in the community development.

Mozilla is far smaller in number of strings than openSUSE.
Translations on openSUSE are far more work intensive than, for
example, Mozilla or KDE want it's more technical and it includes the
documentation in the GUI. They're several POT with weird name with not
any explanation of what it's for on the web. Should I translate it
badly to get the %age or should I leave it now untranslated?

imho, you are already know the answer for that. Bad translations are
worst than no translations.

I can understand than some languages around the 20% or so are a bit
"short" but for the others, please think about the consequences. If an
"essential" requirement is set, it must be defined wisely and the POT
files have to be cleaned up from some outdated pot's (kinternet for
example...).

We are here to talk about it. And again, I am just one small piece of
the list and I will not and can't judge anything. I just would like a
conversations between us, how can we leverage the processes.

thanks
kalman