Re: [opensuse-translation] l10n process improvement
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:24:59 +0100
2009/11/7 Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

idea 5
We have to build l10n volunteers respect and community. I am not sure
why we should deliver languages where translations are under 75%. (at
Mozilla this is 100%). We have to contact to the translators and find
out what happens and maybe we have find more/new volunteers.

That's not very respectfull for small or minority languages that
strive to have the most translated they can, dealing with openSUSE,
Gnome, KDE, Mozilla... Try to find new volounteers does not always
succeed. So what? Throw the language away? What's the point to have
Yast 100% translated (even some very specific and technician parts) if
half of the desktop is untranslated?

On KDE, the language is released if the essentials are met:
desktop_kdelibs.po : 75%
desktop_l10n.po : 75%
kdebase : 75%
kdelibs4.po : 90%

These files/folders are about 20% of the whole KDE project but they
are the core. The other parts are not evaluated for release.

On GNOME, they don't care.

According to the stats, following your idea would make 23 languages
only. There are 60 languages translated on openSUSE.
http://i18n.opensuse.org/stats/trunk/toplist.php

Speaking of my case, I'm very proud to have managed to come from 45%
to 57% from 11.1 to 11.2 alone, despite I try to find other
translators. And I work also on KDE and Firefox (with a very few other
people). Should I give up or spend all my hometime translating it? Or
stop translating KDE to be sure openSUSE gets 75%?

Mozilla is far smaller in number of strings than openSUSE.
Translations on openSUSE are far more work intensive than, for
example, Mozilla or KDE want it's more technical and it includes the
documentation in the GUI. They're several POT with weird name with not
any explanation of what it's for on the web. Should I translate it
badly to get the %age or should I leave it now untranslated?

I can understand than some languages around the 20% or so are a bit
"short" but for the others, please think about the consequences. If an
"essential" requirement is set, it must be defined wisely and the POT
files have to be cleaned up from some outdated pot's (kinternet for
example...).

Regards,

Jean Cayron
wa-team
Let me know your ideas and thoughts about mine.

thanks
kalman