Re: [opensuse-translation] Build 350 l10n regression
  • From: Kálmán Kéménczy <kkemenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 09:28:50 +0100
I do understand that, but the bugs has not been corrected for the freeze.
Another main issues is the change of the gtk-yast between RC1 and RC2
that we could not follow.

Yes, this is unfortunately, but not that serious (IMO). The default
now is KDE, and we can fix the defect with an online update.

Yes, KDE is the default but we offer at least two windows manager in
the install. It should not be the difference and the package manager
is really one of the (in not THE) main component of the yast.

But deadlines could have been better communicated/reminded I think - I
fear I
translated the release notes too late to make it on the media for offline
installations :-/

AFAIK, we do not ship translations of the RNs on the media at all.
They are always downloaded from the server (IIRC); maybe, this has been
changed lately--someone probably needs to investigate.

I am sorry, but what is RN?

I just can't believe that we have not learnt it from the previous
releases. We walk in to the same trap again and again.
I am sorry but I am just little bit unhappy about it. I feel I put as
much effort that I could to l10n but it does not reflect in the final
product.

For sure, I'm one(?) of the bottle necks. But with the build service (BS)
all of you can prepare package updates and send submitreqs (sr) to
the project maintainers. There is some basic documentation in the wiki.
I admit, for soem packages that's not that easy, though.

I don't want to find someone to blame. I am quite sure that is too
late for anything now, but I would like to find the way how we could
do it better for the next release. (We always talk about the next
release :) This is the right time to find and solve the issues in the
process.

After the code/feature freeze there is a translation phase, but there
is no phase to fix translation issue on the developer side. IMHO this
one is missing. Most of my bugs are minor from the developer view and
for the whole project itself.

I also would not mind if others would help with merging and/or communicating
dates to developers and translators.

I would like to help on it I just really don't know how. Should we
check the factory source code to match the translation with the svn on
every package build? Maybe this is the key, isn't it?

I probably can work again on translation issues on Monday.

many thanks Karl, I really appreciate your efforts.

kalman