Re: [opensuse-translation] Submitting translations to the build
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 09:59:45 +0200
Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx> writes:

Background info: I usually send a reminder to the packagers the week
before the release of a beta/mX/RC. Sometimes I forget it... I'd
probably need a translation co-maintainer.

Further it would help if those of you who are familiar with the build
service (OBS) would create submitreqs.

IMO, this should work as follows for standard projects:

1/ In suse-i18n, run "make $PROJECT" to collect all translations in
$PROJECT-po.tar.gz

2/ Branch $PROJECT into you so-called "home project":

osc branch openSUSE\:Factory $PROJECT
osc co home:$OBS_USER:branches:openSUSE:Factory/$PROJECT

3/ Copy the translations to the checkout and--if needed--adjust the
.spec file. Update .changes. Then submit to the OBS for a test
build:

cp $PROJECT-po.tar.gz \
home:$OBS_USER:branches:openSUSE:Factory/$PROJECT
cd home:$OBS_USER:branches:openSUSE:Factory/$PROJECT
# check $PROJECT.spec
# edit $PROJECT.changes
osc add $PROJECT-po.tar.gz
osc ci -m 'update translations'

4/ If it build, create a submitreq:

osc sr home:$OBS_USER:branches:openSUSE:Factory \
$PROJECT openSUSE:Factory

Caveats:
========

a/ ad 1: Sometimes, $PROJECT does not match the package name in Factory.

b/ ad 1: If minimaly translated languages are not wanted, e.g., call:

make min=50 slideshow

c/ ad 2: Quite some projects have "devel" projects in the OBS.
Use "osc meta" to find it out. E.g., this way:

osc meta pkg openSUSE:Factory yast2-slide-show \
| xml sel -t -v //devel/@project

("xml" is part of xmlstarlet.)

d/ ad 3: You should really separate translation .po files from the
regular program sources...

e/ ad 4: If it has a devel project, file the submitreq accordingly:

osc sr home:$OBS_USER:branches:openSUSE:Factory \
yast2-slide-show YaST:HEAD

Untested. I hope I got everything right.

R&D / Documentation