Re: [opensuse-translation] Indiscriminated merges that are not fuzzied
  • From: Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 17:51:31 -0300
2009/10/3 Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>:
I'll ask. Are in upstream merging without marking as fuzzy?

No, we are (openSUSE).
The script that creates the update-desktop files merge our translations
replacing it with upstream ones.
Conflicts are saved in update-desktop-files-conflicts, though the
changes are not marked as fuzzy.

The merge always have to put the suggestions as fuzzy. If they are
correct suggestions the translations will unfuzzy them in a second,
but finding and correcting the incorrect translations introduced by
indiscriminated merges is very tiring because you have to check all
the translations, and having a list on a different file doesn't is
very helpful since the entire situation could easily be avoided.

As far as I remember it was decided (don't know by who), that if
something is incorrect it should be corrected upstream.

That makes no sense. If the file is translated in upstream, why do you
have also to translate it in openSuse? And between projects a
different terminology could be used, so you have to change the
translations all the days.

We (the spanish team) are considering to ignores this files because
every merge cause too much work for us.

We must go to the root of the problem, the merges should be done
marking as fuzzy the suggestions, and not replacing correct
translations and introducing incorrect ones.

If this situation continues that way, probably in few months there
won't be no translators for galician, and we are five or six right
now.

So, please, fix that!! It couldn't be so hard to solve.

Bye,
Leandro Regueiro

Because the upstream teams don't translate 100% of the apps which are
included in openSUSE. One example is the KDE playground apps which the
translations in upstream is not that necessary nor stimulated. There
are exceptions like the knm4, etc.

I prefer using upstream translations were they exist as another team
(upstream) took care of it (if its wrong I make the suggestion to
correct upstream also with the help of u-d-f-conflicts) and to not
lose the different terminology that upstream projects use (to avoid
different terminology in the same project between distros)

Some weeks ago I filled a bug about something similar (u-d-f using
fallback language sometimes) and coolo find out that there is a bug in
KDE upstream as he reported in this mailling list.

If I remember correctly it was supposed that sometime in the
translation round the script will change to not change the strings
with upstream translations to give us time to correct and translate
the missing ones, which did not occur yet and probably will not.

Regards,

Luiz