Re: [opensuse-translation] Indiscriminated merges that are not fuzzied
  • From: Leandro Regueiro <leandro.regueiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 21:30:19 +0200
I'll ask. Are in upstream merging without marking as fuzzy?

No, we are (openSUSE).
The script that creates the update-desktop files merge our translations
replacing it with upstream ones.
Conflicts are saved in update-desktop-files-conflicts, though the
changes are not marked as fuzzy.

The merge always have to put the suggestions as fuzzy. If they are
correct suggestions the translations will unfuzzy them in a second,
but finding and correcting the incorrect translations introduced by
indiscriminated merges is very tiring because you have to check all
the translations, and having a list on a different file doesn't is
very helpful since the entire situation could easily be avoided.

As far as I remember it was decided (don't know by who), that if
something is incorrect it should be corrected upstream.

That makes no sense. If the file is translated in upstream, why do you
have also to translate it in openSuse? And between projects a
different terminology could be used, so you have to change the
translations all the days.

We (the spanish team) are considering to ignores this files because
every merge cause too much work for us.

We must go to the root of the problem, the merges should be done
marking as fuzzy the suggestions, and not replacing correct
translations and introducing incorrect ones.

If this situation continues that way, probably in few months there
won't be no translators for galician, and we are five or six right
now.

So, please, fix that!! It couldn't be so hard to solve.

Bye,
Leandro Regueiro