Re: [opensuse-translation] about update-desktop-files-screensavers.po origin
  • From: Александр Мелентьев <alex239@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:11:05 +0400
2009/6/11 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
You confuse something. If you see in the comment of the msgid, this is
/usr/share/applications/screensavers/julia.desktop - which is part of
gnome-screensaver. And these desktop files really include that long
comments. Interestingly the whole package comes with very little upstream
translations, no idea why. Perhaps _there_ is a bug.

That gnome screensaver translations are not displayed in KDE is by design and
not a bug. I answer your other point in a different mail to split your long
post :)

Greetings, Stephan
I suspected I need to wait for some gnome guys replies before writing
the rest of the post...=)
So I don't confuse, I just USE all the time KDE4 only. Of course,
since gnome screensavers really have this text, I see my mistake. So
there is no problem, thanks for clarification.

KDE translates these xml files as part of hacks.po upstream and not in
desktop files.
Sorry, can't see hacks.po in the whole l10n-data tree, could you
please point me to the right direction of finding it?

KDE translates all strings the same and that's fine. For SUSE I wanted to
avoid possible conflicts between different contexts (in KDE the context is
clear), so I decided to make the name of the desktop file the context.
Oh, I see. Again, since this is done intentionally there is no problem either.

So there is one tiny problem left: could you please check, on what
stage the newlines from original xml-s get eliminated. See, in
original file all wiki-links are separate lines, as well as "Written
by..." line. But in update-desktop-files-screensavers.po msgid-s are
just textflows with newlines at specific position, so link often get
interrupted by newline right in the middle, and this is not really
good for design. It could be better if original newlines get some
respect.

Still, thanks for fast and useful answer, you rock!
All the best, Minton.