Re: [opensuse-translation] about update-desktop-files-screensavers.po origin
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:57:46 +0200
On Wednesday 10 June 2009 22:08:10 Александр Мелентьев wrote:

@Coolo (assuming you wrote merging scripts for this, if not, @author):
even though I successfully found out the origin of these descriptions
(xml files of xscreensaver package, which I had to install
specifically for this case) I still do not understand why are they
The xml files are only displayed by xscreensaver-demo or if you do
"Setup" of a xscreensaver hack under kde. GNOME has copies of the code
AFAIK. KDE translates these xml files as part of hacks.po upstream and not in
desktop files.

included here. I can't see if they are really DISPLAYED TO USER
anywhere in the system either in translated or untranslated form.
1) Could you please clarify this issue described above?
I did in another mail.
2) Upstream file with translations for both screensavers and desktop
themes has approx. 70+ kB size. openSUSE's
What upstream file? The kdeartwork desktop.po?

update-desktop-files-screensavers is 250+ kB. Since it is kinda
strange, would you mind to have (possibly separate) discussion on
improving the merging script (at least with duplicates finding) to
help other translation teams and save some of their time?
KDE translates all strings the same and that's fine. For SUSE I wanted to
avoid possible conflicts between different contexts (in KDE the context is
clear), so I decided to make the name of the desktop file the context.

The kde screensavers are an example where this makes a problem as
100 desktop files all "translate" "Display in Root". But then again: if it's
translated upstream (and that's still the route to go), the problem does not
appear.

Greetings, Stephan