Re: [opensuse-translation] important change for desktop files
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 13:21:02 +0100
Am Montag 16 März 2009 schrieb Martin Schlander:

It's still unclear for me which translation (opensuse svn or upstream) will
appear for the user in the final product when there's a conflict :-|

It will always appear what's in the .po files in opensuse SVN - that's where
Karl takes the po files for desktop-translations from.

The scripts to merge the upstream translations in has a default on what to
prefer and that's upstream for now (packages built). I'm free to change it
to not overwrite changes in SVN though when we're nearing RC phase.
That's what happened at 11.1 because (I think it was) italian team complained
about the poor quality of KDE translations and it was not possible to get this
fixed upstream in time.

I'm a little confused about the following too.

The Akregator button in the left pane of Kontact with factory KDE packages
is translated as "Kilder".

This is the relevant string in opensuse trunk (update-desktop-files-kde-
services.da.po) I think:
#: /usr/share/kde4/services/kontact/akregatorplugin.desktop
msgctxt "Name(akregatorplugin.desktop)"
msgid "Feeds"
msgstr "Kilder"

In KDE stable branch (desktop_kdepim) the relevant string is this one (I
think):
#: kontact/plugins/akregator/akregator.setdlg:2
#: kontact/plugins/akregator/akregatorplugin.desktop:70
msgctxt "Name"
msgid "Feeds"
msgstr "Feeds"

This string does not appear in the conflicts file. I guess cuz they don't
match exactly. I wonder if this is a temporary problem, or something we'll
see later on as well.

What's in KDE branch is less interesting. In the desktop file there is no
translation at all - as KDE leaves out 1:1 translations. As such it appears
untranslated to my scripts. And because it's untranslated upstream, openSUSE
fills the gap. Hard to do right I'm afraid.

Greetings, Stephan