Re: [opensuse-translation] OpenSUSE vs. openSUSE (Request for clarification)
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:27:04 -0600
On Friday 27 February 2009 10:21:26 am Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Friday, 2009-02-27 at 16:50 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Interesting, I've been told quite a few times that it should be OpenSUSE
at the beginning of a sentence. If this is wrong, we have to make this
better-known in some way...

Yes, it is indeed wrong. openSUSE starts always with a small o.

Is there something on the wiki where we can document this?

I think I read a statement to the contrary. Only now have I learnt about
the first letter being lowercase, and verified the local dictionary.

OpenSUSE. (testing spell checker)

Argh. My dictionary does not contain "OpenSUSE", but the spellchecker
takes the above as correct. Bugzilla? >:-)

Let me see mine.

openSUSE (red)
OpenSUSE (red)

Besides there are languages that don't use articles ahead of noun and have
problem to put openSUSE as a first word in a sentence.

Example:
The openSUSE is community ...
The openSUSE is distribution ...

Translator has to change sentence order to avoid having openSUSE first, which
in both examples gives somewhat strange result.

--
Regards, Rajko