Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations instead of openSUSE ones
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:49:33 +0100
Am Friday 27 February 2009 12:28:51 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
On Thursday 26 February 2009 22:24:24 Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:
Hi Karl and all!

Karl is on vacation and will be back on Monday AFAIK. I don't know why and
how bad exactly we screwed up and would suggest that we wait for Karl on
Monday to dig into this and drive fixing it.

I'm glad that it takes some time until the next SLED gets released and I
hope we can all learn from it - and fix the problems introduced without
problems,

I can at least tell some: the problem was mainly that packages that were meant
purely for SLE (i.e. only containting SLE languages, not all openSUSE ones)
were checked in into Factory to get the bug fixes within that packages into
Factory fast. That this regressed the translations for the moment in Factory
was seen as smaller evil.

What should not have happened is that the zypper maintainer "merged" SLE and
openSUSE translations for an 11.1 online update. Of course Jan did with good
intention, taking that SLE translations had more time - but now he knows
better ;(
But this is tracked in bug 473004 and there is already a new update in testing
that is fixing this problem.

There isn't and never was an intention to automatically merge the SLE
translations. The SLE translators had a different time scale, different
requirements and different tools - so it's clear that there is no simple
merging. The code11 branch is there and open and you can grab from it what's
considered good or file bug reports if you consider something bad (if you care
for SLE, of course noone expects you too).

Again: We will not throw away any translation work done for 11.1 when going
towards 11.2 - the opposite is true. I went great lengths to rewrite the
desktop files handling to give you a way to look at conflicts. And not even
about SLE conflicts, but I already do not dare to throw away work that
upstream did differently.

Greetings, Stephan