Re: [opensuse-translation] zypper in openSUSE using SLED translations instead of openSUSE ones
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:44:13 +0100
On Friday 27 February 2009 13:07:36 Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Friday, 2009-02-27 at 08:28 +0100, Olav P. wrote:
Fredag 27. februar 2009 03:26:13 skrev Carlos E. R.:
I find this demeaning of our work. I'll have to consider stoping my
collaboration if this is not reverted, for all files affected.

:-|

If you are going to use somebody else's translation, after all the work
we have invested, I see no use in translating anything further. You can
do it on your own. :-/

Well, as this after all is volunteer work I don't actually find it
"demeaning" but I do find it counter productive.

Well, I don't know how else to name it. Requesting volunteer work, and
then throwing it away, using instead paid work from somebody else... why
then should I bother to work at all? Let Novell pay for all the
translation, and I'll give my time to another outside project where they
do appreciate my time :-(

It is the other way round. If you pay for a job, you can do as you please
with the result. If you request free volunteers, you can not happily throw
away the result, because next time you will not get volunteers.

We are proud of our work and want to see it used, not thrown away.

It is used - and I really appreciate the great work done! The problem was
that work was done in parallel AFAIU - but I just don't know all details.

Please read also Karl's email from earlier with subject "Before starting with
11.2 translations".

I don't know about other languages but for my language (nb), openSUSE
translations are generally of a higher quality than SLES/SLED
translations.

Therefore, the quality of openSUSE translations will drop considerably
every time SLED/SLES translations are merged before a translation round.

It hasn't been a merge, but a full replace.

And since we use svn we should be able to revert such things. Let's give Karl
a chance to return from his vacation and comment on it.

This is a general observation and I'm sure there are examples to the
opposite effect, both for other languages and for individual strings.

Still, I don't think it is a good idea to replace good translations with
bad ones, and I find it particularly counter-productive to reinsert typos
and translation errors from SLED/SLES that openSUSE translators have
corrected during previous rounds

Absolutely.

It feels rather meaningless to proofread the same strings and correct the
same errors over and over again, and translators will of course give up
in the end and just leave these bad translation "as is". I do exactly
that, i.e. give up an leave reoccurring errors, but I don't like it
because files with funny translations will be tagged with my name if I am
the last person who has edited a particular file, although most of the
funny stuff is produced elsewhere :-).
.

Absolutely.

Here is my suggestion:

DO NOT MERGE SLES/SLED TRANSLATIONS AT ALL but make the SLES/SLED
translation memory available as a tmx file or something for openSUSE
translatiors, That way we can use or disregard the SLES/SLED translation
for any particular string.

I'm not sure I want the memory there, because the utilities using memory
would do automatic translations using the strings of SLED, not ours (or
viceversa). We can't be sure of what set they will use.

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

List Navigation