Re: [opensuse-translation] Translating openSuse documentation into french language
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:33:43 +0100
Le samedi 03 janvier 2009, à 10:41 +0100, Carlos E. R. a écrit :
I have done a translation in docbook: of the old "unofficial SuSE howto"
by Togan and others. I didn't like docbook much. Even not at all. I don't
want to see tokens in the middle of my text, it makes hard reading and
writing. To see the result of our typing, we had to ask Togan to compile
our writing and produce the pdf or html for us to proofread. Took days.

"yelp /path/to/docbookfile.xml" should just work, fwiw.

It is fine for programmers, but not for a writer. I want a tool like
openoffice writer or LyX. Personally, I prefer LyX, when it works (not
trivial, either).

I have also translated some man pages... I don't like that either.
Programmers do not think of translators when they design the tools for
writing documentation. They think of themselves, code and text like
code. No wonder that the documentation is often behind, and translations
much more behind than the docs in English.

There are tools to make docbook and man pages translatable via po files,
which makes it possible to use your usual workflow.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.