Re: [opensuse-translation] Please have respect and stop merging any day.
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:42:17 +0100
Am Samstag 22 November 2008 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
On Saturday, 2008-11-22 at 12:45 +0100, Andrea Florio wrote:
the problem is NOT that single update, the problem is the continuos
merge.. i understand that changes may happens, but i think that NO
RESPECT for translators exist...

i can see any day a new merge that add fuzzy and untranslated...
as i told i understand that change happens, but please!

we translate for free in free time, and in one of last merging karl
asked to fixed changes in few hours..

Well, I expected "suffering" changes when I volunteered for translating, I
knew what this was about, more or less. I don't mind very much having to
change and change again already translated files, and having last minute
changes.

What I do mind is being hurried up, and without advance notice.

We are no professionals translators, we are not sitting wating for new
files... we have other things to do. At the very least, if we are told
days in advance that "could we please review some last hour changes very
fast on Friday morning", perhaps then some team member can allocate time
and do it.

I'm not sure where the hurry part comes from actually. Karl's message was
most likely misunderstood, he just wanted to know which teams are not finished
on friday and which are - because seriously: many translators translate the
moment the file is merged, no idea how they do it. It may have to do with
time zones.

And Scott explained the reason why there is no way around his last minute
change pretty technically. And believe me, we will not release 11.1 without
you have a day or more for translating such last minute things. Otherwise
we'd move such a fix to an online update.

And with every other change I'm seeing in svn log it's simply bug fixes
for previously untranslatable strings. Teams that find the time to update
it, will get the fix in. Teams that don't, will see no change to previous
state.

Beside that, I'm aware that not all developers are taking the same
responsiblity as Scott has shown and I'm very sorry for that. I'm
constantly trying to educate those, but some are just deaf when it comes
to such issues - they live in a "'code' is english" world ;(

Greetings, Stephan
P.S. I'll merge the pot file of gnome-packagekit now.