[opensuse-translation] Problems with update-desktop-files-kde.it.po
  • From: Andrea Turrini <andrea.turrini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:30:36 +0100
Hi all,

I'm translating into Italian the lnc/po/update-desktop-files-kde.it.po file.
Watching the changes between my last version (39512) and the svn head (41534),
besides the fuzzy and untranslated strings, I've discovered a lot of
new/modified translated strings with errors or strange behaviors.

In fact, I've found mainly these problems:
- some strings are translated into different strings even if they are relative
to the same msgid of the same file
- some new and modified strings contain grammar mistakes or do not match the
singular/plural of msgid (while original translations was right)
- some translated strings are replaced with untranslated ones
- some translated strings are replaced with wrong ones
- some modified strings seems to be replaced by strings generated by an
automatic translator
- some modified strings contain words that do not exists in Italian
- some modified strings do not follow standard Italian translations (see
http://en.opensuse.org/Translation-it#Elenco_delle_parole_di_uso_comune_e_loro_traduzione_standard
)
- some modified strings contain fuzzy words or now they are ambiguous

Are the above problems specific for Italian translation or they occurred also
for other languages? And only in update-desktop-files-kde.it.po file or also
in other update-desktop-* files (I've not checked them because they are not
assigned to me)?

Another thing: what is the better thing to do now? Check the whole file looking for
strange/wrong strings (because problems are inside the "translated" strings,
and they are a lot) or only the strings changed by last commits? This because there is
few time to correct the above problems before the next packaging...

Regards,
Andrea