Re: [opensuse-translation] Do not translate <placeholder-X/> tags (xml2po)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:26:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday 2008-09-30 at 16:03 +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

"Carlos E. R." <> writes:

#: help-boot.html:78(em)
msgid "acpi=off"
msgstr "acpi=off"

If a message is not to be translated at all, like the above, it should not
even appear in the pot/po files. It is confussing, most translators are
not programmers.

At least, add a comment for translator "do not translate" on each one.

Sure, but I do not know whether xml2po supports comments at all. This
must be reported upstream.

BTW, translators are able to learn :) And: If in doubt, do not
translate but keep it literally.

We can learn... somethings. Programming is a difficult skill. I can understand programmers because I was one, in msdos/windows. I can't program in linux much. Small scripts for day to day use.

An absolute non programmer can not learn those skills easily, but he might be a good translator. We just need, er... ties? to close the gap between both sides.

An most of us are not professional translators. We lack skills, speed, trans-vocabulary...

- -- Cheers,