Re: [opensuse-translation] Do not translate <placeholder-X/> tags
  • From: "¡ElCheVive!" <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:17:09 -0300
2008/9/29 Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>:
"¡ElCheVive!" <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

2008/9/29 Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>:

xml2po tries to avoid HTML inline tags. If you see:

#: help-boot.html:135(em)
msgid "splash=silent"
msgstr ""

#: help-boot.html:135(li)
msgid "<placeholder-1/> -- Activates splash, but no messages. Instead a
progress bar is drawn."
msgstr ""

<placeholder-1/> expands to the previous msgid plus the HTML tag given
in the source reference in parentheses:

msgid "<em>splash=silent</em> -- Activates splash, but no messages. Instead
a progress bar is drawn."

That's just the way it works. I tried other options, but they were not
as reliable as I'd like to see them.

So, to make clear, we should empty the translations fields (msgstr)
when the <placeholder-X/> appears, just copy the original string to
the translation, or do not translate the tag only <placeholder-X/> for
eg.:

msgid "<placeholder-1/> -- Activates splash, but no messages. Instead
a progress bar is drawn."
msgstr "<placeholder-1/> -- influenciar o comportamento da tela de
inicialização."

Do not translate <placeholder-1/> etc. These translations are wrong:

af/navi.html:
<plekhouer-1>

de/opt::o_splash.html:
<placehoder-3>

xh/navi.html:
<kumgcinisithuba-1>

af/navi.html:
<plekhouer-1/>

de/main::opt::o_splash.html:
<placehoder-3/>

ja/main::linux.html:
<placeholder-3/> <= placeholder-2

pt_BR/main::memtest.html:
<placeholder-2/> <= probably fixed by now

xh/navi.html:
<kumgcinisithuba-1/>

R&D / Documentation

Thanks for the explanation!

And what about this string:

@@@fkey_profile@@@

I think we should not translate as well...

Regards,

Luiz