Re: [opensuse-translation] My kbabel does not spell check [solved]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:36:43 +0200 (CEST)

The Friday 2008-09-26 at 13:08 +0200, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:

Whatever, but the dictionary should be working on them all, and for some
reason it stopped and configuration changes (from inside the kbabel
window I was using) didn't work.

This might be due to language change in a project (are you using a single
project, or do you have 2 of them open?), or a possible problem in KSpell.
Hard to tell...

Yes, I do have two projects: yast and lcn. They have different po and pot directories, so they have to be different.

OTOH, catalog manager is standalone, so no need to close that one.

Mmm. No, I did not close that one (it still running), but one or two
kbabel windows had been opened from inside the c.manager. kbabel appears
to work better if called from outside (it does not seem to inherit the
project configuration correctly if called from the c.m.).

Yes, Catalog manager starts KBabel with the proper project settings.

It doesn't always work right for me. I think it takes (or took, I haven't verified recently) some settings from the current project, and some (like translator email, I think) from the default config instead.

I normally use gnome, and I call kbabel with this sequence on an xterm:

cer@nimrodel:~/Projects/babel/SuSE> ulimit -v 300000
cer@nimrodel:~/Projects/babel/SuSE> kbabel --project trunk_lcn.kbabel &

The ulimit thing is because once kbabel started eating gigabytes of
memory: we had a bugzilla about that :-}

Sounds like a broken translation memory again.

No, no, it is not broken now. It was a broken "dbsearchengine/*" kbabel database broken, the "translation database". It breaks easily, I have to reset it on every cycle (10.3, 11.0. 11.1...). I delete it and retrain (on the previous yast&lcn trees).

When this database breaks, kbabel crashes easily, like just displaying a certain message. This is known. But I had a crash like this about two years ago, when kbabel started eating memory like mad (Bug 256363). So, as I was bitten, I take the ulimit precaution. Nothing more :-)

No need to worry about that, I just hope kaider becomes really usable soon.

- -- Cheers,