Re: [opensuse-translation] capitalization in translations
  • From: Carlos Goncalves <cgoncalves@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:12:38 +0100
On Monday May 12 2008 11:52:16 Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Sunday 2008-05-11 at 17:14 +0100, Jan Madsen wrote:
2008/5/11 ¡ElCheVive! <elchevive68@>:
Hi all!

A have a question about the capitalization used in menus, etc. Is
there any restriction for us, translators, to use our own standard?
(eg. without capitalize the first letter - "Save As" -> "Save
as"(translated of course)).

My opinion is, that you should translate everything the most suitable
way for your particular language.

Save As... > Guardar como...

That's what we are doing in Spanish: we use the rules of our language.
Other teams do the same; the Spanish KDE team, for instance, has an
explanation of this practice in their web, why should not capitalize
English Style.

Well, the Portuguese team is leaving them as they are - capitalized.

However, I never liked it because in some long sentences this capitalization
style looks awful. Maybe for >= 11.1 we will change this...

--
Regards,
Carlos Goncalves