Re: [opensuse-translation] capitalization in translations
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 12:52:16 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2008-05-11 at 17:14 +0100, Jan Madsen wrote:

2008/5/11 ¡ElCheVive! <elchevive68@>:
Hi all!

A have a question about the capitalization used in menus, etc. Is
there any restriction for us, translators, to use our own standard?
(eg. without capitalize the first letter - "Save As" -> "Save
as"(translated of course)).

My opinion is, that you should translate everything the most suitable
way for your particular language.

Save As... > Guardar como...

That's what we are doing in Spanish: we use the rules of our language. Other teams do the same; the Spanish KDE team, for instance, has an explanation of this practice in their web, why should not capitalize English Style.

So:

Save As... > Guardar como...

- -- Cheers,