Re: [opensuse-translation] gnome-packagekit (Re: opensuseupdater-gnome: openSUSE 11.0 - POT file update wanted)
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:59:30 -0500
Hello,

If I understand correctly, each team would have to contact upstream the
gnome translators to help translating the appropriate file. In due course,
the file would propagate downstream...

I do not agree with the idea of translating a package we didn't really
need. We had opensuse-updater, which was perfectly localized (even
though I've never seen the complete translation in action due to never
fixed bugs). Now packagekit is being pushed for a really unclear reason,
forcing kde to use it too and with the evident risk (see bugzilla) to
have other issues with the package manager again.
To this, add the fact that external applications, not maintained by
opensuse should not be translated by us, and before pushing one
application, its localization should be previously verified. It's just
basic quality assurance.
To add a note, I find a bit funny we still have to understand if we
have to translate the updater, one of the most visible applications,
almost at the end of the translation cycle.

This would take months, and could not be coordinated.

I agree. I won't contact upstream myself for my team.

Another, much faster, approach would be:

- To merge the most recent translation (from cvs or whatever upstream) to
our file.
- Then translate the resulting file locally, by our teams.
- Someone from Novell mails (not submitting, mind!) the translations to
the gnome translation coordinator so that they use them if they like
them, or discard them if they don't.

Considering the translation round finishes at the end of April, this has
to be done now, or the file won't be translated before the deadline.

Regards,
Alberto