Re: [opensuse-translation] gnome-packagekit (Re: opensuseupdater-gnome: openSUSE 11.0 - POT file update wanted)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 02:13:09 +0200 (CEST)

The Thursday 2008-04-24 at 17:29 +0200, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

I'm sending his reply to the list, because although he did email it to the list, it doesn't seem he is subscribed.

Carlos E. R. wrote:

Upstream strictly requires conforming to national translation
conventions and a responsive contact person. If translators don't want
to (can't) use SVN directly (and ask for commit permission to GNOME
SVN), then they may use SVN submit contact person in Novell, who knows
SVN and who will submit translations back. Keeping contact person e-mail
is mandatory.

Interesting.

I forgot to say: The standard way of using version control systems, is:
- Check out
- Edit
- Commit

To prevent conflicts, time between check-out and commit should be as
short as possible.

If you keep the SVN (CVS) snapshot during editing, the version control
tool takes care that you will never overwrite another person's work. If
you get reject (because somebody did a change in time between), it is
your responsibility to merge. => If you want to prevent large rejects as
much as possible, edit fresh version, and commit often. Merging of 1000
new translations, when somebody else translated another 100 might be a
nightmare.

On the other hand, if somebody did 1-line fix in time between, there is
a high probability, that SVN will merge the change for you without a big
effort.

Look at po file header. If you see, that nobody edited the file for
years, there is low risk of conflict when you start editing. If somebody
edited it several times in last month, you should be aware and contact
person, who works on it it.

We (translators) could help translate upstream projects in between
opensuse releases. For example, I have an email from a sourceforge
translation project, I'll ask them if I can repost it here, in case
anybody is interested.

Well. Probably the best approach would be:

- Help upstream to make translation as complete as possible in time of
(their) release date => Our box product will have a good translation,
not depending on date of the version freeze in OpenSUSE.

- For later update of maintained products, pick latest upstream
translation, run magic scripts, which will try hard to merge new
translations to the old product. Then help with completing it in
Novell/openSUSE. It will add as much as possible from new translation
teams, and the amount of work to make it complete will be lower.
It is questionable, whether it would be interested for upstream.
If upstream has GNOME 2.22, then probably nobody cares about translation
of GNOME 2.18.1 or even GNOME 2.12.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
Lihovarská 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9 fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic http://www.suse.cz/

- -- Cheers,