Re: [opensuse-translation] gnome-packagekit (Re: opensuseupdater-gnome: openSUSE 11.0 - POT file update wanted)
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:25:43 +0200
Torsdag den 24. April 2008 16:58:43 skrev Carlos E. R.:
I completly agree.
If we want to collaborate translating it, the right way would be do it
upstream.

Yep.

I even think that it could be appropriate to remove this particular
.pot/.po from our tree.

It should be the task of the package maintainer (any and all packages,
perhaps) to decide if he wants to fetch the most modern translation from
each project tree and merge it to the version he packages for the
distro, IMHO. Pushing a .po to the team of translators of a distribution
is not correct, if an upstream translation effort exists.

We (translators) could help translate upstream projects in between
opensuse releases. For example, I have an email from a sourceforge
translation project, I'll ask them if I can repost it here, in case
anybody is interested.

I think it's justifiable in this particular case, since it's pretty central
software (default updater for gnome users), that still is severely lacking in
upstream translation.

But it certainly shouldn't become the rule.

Danish team has translated gnome-packagekit and has merged strings into latest
POT from upstream and sent the work to Danish GNOME translators. The rest is
up to them.

Btw., kdepim 4.1 which will be included in 11.0 will probably be very poorly
translated from upstream also, since openSUSE will ship beta version. So it
might make sense for some people here to get involved with translating that
upstream.

See status for your language here:
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/package/kdepim/
http://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kde4/package/kdepimlibs/

Or maybe we should add ~12.000 strings additional strings to openSUSE SVN :-)