Re: [opensuse-translation] gnome-packagekit (Re: opensuseupdater-gnome: openSUSE 11.0 - POT file update wanted)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:58:43 +0200 (CEST)

The Thursday 2008-04-24 at 09:38 -0300, Gabriel wrote:

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:03 AM, Stanislav Brabec <> wrote:

Gabriel, Thank you for forwarding his email, it did not make to this list.

You don't need my magic, if you want to start with translation of actual
version. My magic is useful for merging upstream translation from the
latest version to the old version we have in released products.

That would be appropriate.

My tool does not yet support pushing strings back to upstream, however
it's planned feature.

Probably not wise, for the reasons you say later.

I am not a person organizing translations. I am only a package
maintainer, who did some voluntary translation in past.

But from my aspect of view, it would be simplest to translate directly
in upstream.

Correct.

Upstream strictly requires conforming to national translation
conventions´╗┐ and a responsive contact person. If translators don't want´╗┐
to (can't) use SVN directly (and ask for commit permission to GNOME
SVN), then they may use SVN submit contact person in Novell, who knows
SVN and who will submit translations back. Keeping contact person e-mail
is mandatory.

Interesting.

I completly agree.
If we want to collaborate translating it, the right way would be do it upstream.

Yep.

I even think that it could be appropriate to remove this particular .pot/.po from our tree.

It should be the task of the package maintainer (any and all packages, perhaps) to decide if he wants to fetch the most modern translation from each project tree and merge it to the version he packages for the distro, IMHO. Pushing a .po to the team of translators of a distribution is not correct, if an upstream translation effort exists.

We (translators) could help translate upstream projects in between opensuse releases. For example, I have an email from a sourceforge translation project, I'll ask them if I can repost it here, in case anybody is interested.

- -- Cheers,