Re: [opensuse-translation] Towards 11.0 (yast)
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:00:03 +0100
Onsdag den 26. Marts 2008 13:22:50 skrev Karl Eichwalder:
Does it mean that we will get some fuzzies when results will come back
to repository?

Yes, fuzzies are to be expected.

English proofreading will probably have little impact on translations,
so would it be possible then to merge its results differently? I mean in
the other direction - merge the reviewed msgids to .po files. The normal
merge + translation memory makes the translation work harder, because
some good translations are usually lost or old ones from memory creep
in. Of course the changed items should be marked as fuzzy, but we would
be sure that the translations are "original".

Unfortunately, this is not possible. msgmerge does not know whether a
message is new or just changed up to some degree. In the near future we
a probably able to carry over the old translation somehow; this way, PO
file editors could display diffs easily (I think this already works
somehow in kbabel). Old translation:

msgid "apple"
msgstr "jablko"

Now consider a newly introduced string such as "apples":

#, fuzzy
#| apple
msgid "apples"
msgstr "jablko"

I'm not sure about the final getext syntax, though.

Not sure if the functionality is hiding in KBabel somewhere, but KDE(4)
PO-files use this syntax, and LoKalize supports it and shows diff. It's
freaking fantastic. Especially with those dreaded large, multi line strings
where someone moved a comma, and you spend five minutes figuring out what
they changed.

Here's a screenshot of such a case, for your enjoyment. Notice the diff
toolview on the bottom left:
http://suse.linuxin.dk/lokalize-diff.png