Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:25:25 +0100
"Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

To some translators those new tools are needed to simplify things.

For instance, some translators do not have a full or even partial file
tree. They just have the single file.po they are translating... svn is
useless for them.

Yes, and as long as the new tools are optional, I'm all for it. All our
teams are very special, from single person teams to up to 10 persons
everything is available :)

FWIW, looking at the stats, there are 31607 strings. That's huge. For
reference, the official GNOME modules contain around 40000 strings.

Yes, but they're not completely untranslated. Memory does a good job :-)

You shouldn't trust memory. We found some strings horribly translated...
and they were not marked fuzzy. Those bad strings will reside in "memory"
for ever...

That's not the truth for the memory files available within our SVN. I
update them from time to time (replacing old translations with new ones)
and I wouldn't mind if team members would do it also for their language,
if they see the need. 50-tools/lcn-make-memory.sh is now also
available, finally ;) For yast, you can use 50-tools/y2-make-memmory.sh.
I recommend to make use of the --add switch most of the time.

lcn-make-memory.sh is running right now globally.

R&D / Documentation