Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:14:10 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2008-03-19 at 08:54 -0500, Alberto Passalacqua wrote:

Of course it can be improved in many ways. I'm just trying to say "keep
things simple", because what it seems to me is that we are just adding
levels of complexity (more tools) instead of removing obstacles.

To some translators those new tools are needed to simplify things.

For instance, some translators do not have a full or even partial file tree. They just have the single file.po they are translating... svn is useless for them.

FWIW, looking at the stats, there are 31607 strings. That's huge. For
reference, the official GNOME modules contain around 40000 strings.

Yes, but they're not completely untranslated. Memory does a good job :-)

You shouldn't trust memory. We found some strings horribly translated... and they were not marked fuzzy. Those bad strings will reside in "memory" for ever...

- -- Cheers,