Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:28:25 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2008-03-19 at 10:45 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

Glad to see that you're able to attract new contributors, though. If you
have to reject some requests, maybe you can redirect them to some
upstream projects (GNOME, KDE, translation project, etc.)?

Which is what some in my team are doing at the moment.

Well, I'm glad that you don't need any change. But I'd be surprised to
hear that every translators feels comfortable with svn. To make it
clear: if I had time to translate, I wouldn't need most of those tools
either. It doesn't mean other people don't need it.

More than half our team do not want svn access. They either don't like/understand it, or don't want the responsibility. They concentrate on translate, which is not a simple task if you do it well and dedicate time and effort, and you are not a professional translator.

What you say might be true when there are a lot of strings and
applications to translate like in KDE or GNOME, but for openSUSE it
seems really a more costly investment than beneficial.

Well, why would it be costly for you if it doesn't change anything to
your workflow? I mean, it would cost me time, but it's fine since I'm
willing to do this because I'm convinced it's something we have to do.

And we will be thank full ;-)

FWIW, looking at the stats, there are 31607 strings. That's huge. For
reference, the official GNOME modules contain around 40000 strings.

My team spent a lot of time reviewing many of those, even those translated on previous years, to ensure consistency. We spent about three months.

- -- Cheers,