Re: [opensuse-translation] Tools to help the translation teams
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:55:52 -0500
It's a topic a bit more complex than "do we need it?". From my
experience, using a tool like vertimus totally changed the way the
french translation team (GNOME one, not openSUSE one) works. It suddenly
was easier to understand what was happening, easier to know the status
of each translation (under translating, waiting for proofreading, etc.),
and also it helped attract new contributors. And the translation really
improved a lot because of this.

Well, to be honest, after a period of "not finding translators", I had
to reject some requests. Translation is an easy task by definition, so
it's not hard to attracto contributors, especially if the project is
well know, if it's not too big, and if there's a reward (opensuse boxes
seem very effective :P).

I don't see what's complex in doing something like:

svn checkout url

once, and then

svn update

the rest of the time. Of course integrating it in lokalize and poedit
would be nice, but it's an enhancement more than a real need.

About the applications, a simple tutorial on the wiki did the trick in
my case (for the Italian team).

Now, if we also make it easier to commit things, or easier to translate
with a specific app, this will remove a bottleneck, or lower the barrier
of entry. And again, there will be more contributors.

Yes. But I don't agree with the "everyone can commit" policy.

Again, the plan would be to have the use of all those tools optional:
you're not forced to use them if you don't want to use them. But having
them improves the translation process and the translations in the long
term.

As I said, I don't believe in the fact that the problem is on the
translators side. I would really concentrate the effort in imposing
_hard_ string freeze. The lack of respect of a string freeze is what, in
my experience, made me lose more time.

For the rest, the management of the translation process is basic, and
can be summed up this way:

* Count the strings.
* Divide by the number of translators roughly.
* Assign them the files
* Translate
* Proofread
* Commit

The only tasks done by non-coordinators are "Translate" and "Proofread".
For the rest, it's really a question of opening OOo-calc and doing some
sum.

What you say might be true when there are a lot of strings and
applications to translate like in KDE or GNOME, but for openSUSE it
seems really a more costly investment than beneficial.

With kind regards,
Alberto