Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation of update-desktop-files.es.po (lcn)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:43:43 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-12-11 at 11:40 +0100, Ladislav Michnovič wrote:

It would help to know what each type is used for :-=

All this strings came from desktop file, which are collected by
%suse_update_desktop_file macro when RPM is built. The desktop file is
used to tell the system how to launch the application and what should
appear in Menu. So sometimes is not a good idea to translate the
string when it is actually a name of the application. msgctxt willl
tell you which application it is.

Tag Name is used for:

Use this text box to specify the name of the launcher. You can use the
Advanced tab to add translations of the name. This name is the name
that appears when you add the launcher to a menu or to the desktop.

Tag Generic name is used for:

Use this text box to specify the class of application to which the
launcher belongs. For example, you might type Text Editor in this text
box for a gedit launcher. You can use the Advanced tab to add
translations of the generic name.

Source:
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.8/ch04s05.html

Then, the entire 'update-desktop-files.es.po' file is only used to create application launchers for gnome desktop, and only gnome?

Something is wrong.

When I create a launcher, I see these fields only:

Type: Application ^ (or Application in terminal or location)
Name: ______
Command: ______ [ Browse ]
Comment: ______

There is no "Generic name" anywhere, nor "advanced" tab anywhere. Those instructions are obsolete or refer to something different.

If I copy a menu entry from the application menu to desktop, and check it's properties, I see different things, under the launcher tab:

Description (all are editable)
Command
Comment

Basic tab:

Type:
Size
Location
Mime type:

Modified:
Accessed:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand, and I need to, in order to understand exactly what I can translate and how. The file is translated, but then I need to review all 6838 entries, most of them done probably years ago by I don't know whom and what what criteria.

It appears I should not translate any "Name()" marked messages, but many of them were translated by my predecessor of previous years.

Then, you only mention Gnome, but Yast module names are translated here, too.

The whole idea of this file is too complex... if there are several entries pertaining to the same launcher, they should be grouped together. Forget gettext! Do something else... There is no way a translator (which is no suse developer) understands all this and can manage to do a consistent translation of each launcher with all the related entries mixed at random all over the flipping file.

No wonder this file was largely untranslated, and with a large percent of errors... :-(

- -- A very baffled translator,