Re: [opensuse-translation] Translation of update-desktop-files.es.po (lcn)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 02:14:25 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-11-19 at 10:44 +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

"Carlos E. R." <> writes:

I would like to request developers to split it up in smaller files, too -
at least till we get kaider running one of these years.
Any chance? O:-)

We discussed it earlier this year, and coolo wrote a script to
accomplish such splitting. IICR, the script is in 50-tools of the lcn
tree. We do not make use of it because we could not decide whether we
want to split alphabetically or project-wise. If we'd split per project
(Gnome, KDE, the rest), they files would still be large. Splitting
would result in 20+ files...

At the end of the day (= discussion), the translator opted to the big
file as-is.

Ok.

#: /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbabel.desktop
#: /usr/share/applications/kde4/kbabel.desktop
msgctxt "Name(kbabel.desktop)"
msgid "KBabel"
msgstr "KBabel"

It appears those entries are program names. Can we translate them? Should
we? Is it just a name, or is it used as a token elsewhere, and thus
translation can have consequences? Or do we write a description?

This must be decided on a per team basis. Every language is different.
There are exceptions, as usual. Do not translate official product
name. Maybe, KBabel would also rate as a product name...

I see.

But we lack info, background info...

Is there any documentation on this file? I don't see where it comes from or what it is used for: that would help us with our guesstimates.

For instance, this entry:

#: /opt/kde3/share/services/amarok_void-engine_plugin.desktop
msgctxt "Name(amarok_void-engine_plugin.desktop)"
msgid "<no engine>"
msgstr "<ningún motor>"

It was translated by the previous team. Should we assume that if msgctxt says "Name" it is the name of a program and should not be translated? But in this case, it doesn't seem a program name, rather an error message.

Another entry:

#: /usr/share/applications/xrolodex.desktop
msgctxt "GenericName(xrolodex.desktop)"
msgid "A \"virtual business card\" manager"
msgstr "Un gestor de \"tarjetas de visita virtuales\""

I assume if marked «msgctxt "GenericName...» then we can translate. Same for "Comment...":

#: /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/ktorrent.desktop
msgctxt "Comment(ktorrent.desktop)"
msgid "A BitTorrent program for KDE"
msgstr "Un programa de BitTorrent para KDE"

It would help to know what each type is used for :-=

- -- Cheers,