Re: [opensuse-translation] Re: [opensuse-project] proposal for organizing translation work
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:57:17 +0100 (CET)

The Monday 2007-12-10 at 10:15 +0100, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

"Carlos E. R." <> writes:

Another problem is that, in order to coordinate which person is
translating which file, we use a special wiki page with a table listing
every file, and where every body marks what files he/she has and is
modifying, so that other translators pick different files, automatically.
But this process is cumbersome and sometimes fails.

A shared worksheet would be faster, perhaps. Or something else.

We could make use of SVN file properties.

Perhaps, but not everybody has commit permissions; in fact, some do not want to have them, perhaps afraid of spoiling something or who knows.

In fact, I am afraid of svn. I'm afraid of goofing sometime and harming
other people's work. Of course, the theory, and I suppose the practice,
says that changes in svn are undo-able, but some times that's not so
easy, as I found out myself once, when I wanted to revert a single file
to an older version and couldn't: I had to erase it and then add it
again to the svn. And that was about two or three hours investigation
and work.

Another problem we have is with large files, like
update-desktop-files.es.po, which has 6000 messages, and we know for
certain that many of them are badly translated. We could improve work if
two or more people could work simultaneously on it, but I don't know how
this could be done.

If wanted we can split the file. We just need criteria on which we
should split. I think we can base the split rules on the contents of
msgctxt or msgid.

Well, yes, but that wouldn't be a replacement for a tool allowing two persons to work simultaneously on the same file. There is a cooperative editor, named "Gobby", but it doesn't understand .po syntax. I was just pointing what a tool like that would allow us to do.

Just imagine! :-)~

For the time being, I could just hand split the file, distribute it within our team, and then join the pieces later on, when done.

By the way... I told kbabel to sort alphabetically, for display, and I'm afraid that kbabel saved in that order (bug?). Separating by modules might not be possible now.

- -- Cheers,