[opensuse-translation] Re: [opensuse-project] proposal for organizing translation work
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:00:03 +0100

Gabriel . wrote:
I was talking with Elliot Murphy from Canonical regarding Launchpad
(launchpad.net). For those who doesn't know Launchpad, it's a web tool
to organize collaboration. Also is the Ubuntu development site (they
host their source, translations, bugs, etc).

The translation tool seems very interesting, it is possible to use the
online tool (and have access to a 800k+ string database) or download
the po file for local work. Also you can have a track of what file is
being translated and by who, and more.

One of the main thing I asked him was about svn support. He's reply
was that Launchpad has native support to a version control tool called
Bazaar, and it's possible to do continuous import from a svn
repository.

Maybe we can get some ideas from there, or even use it.

It's most probably a very nice tool, but using it is a big "no way"
because it isn't opensource nor free.

The really interesting technical aspects aren't so much about VC
integration (which is something a tool like that must have anyway, if it
doesn't it's useless), but rather how it is organized and merged with
upstream. That's one of the biggest technical issues because if it's
translated just for Ubuntu (or openSUSE or Fedora or ...) and doesn't
get merged by upstream, then it's not an option.
And as a long time packager, believe me, working with upstream is a
very, very difficult thing to solve because there are no tools nor
standards (in terms of tooling -- for data representation there's GNU
gettext (po) and TMX (http://www.lisa.org/standards/tmx/)) nor
centralized way to communicate additions/patches, etc...

But yeah, indeed, it would be great to have a tool that is both easy to
use and potent enough to merge with upstream, because translation is an
obvious topic where lots of people can contribute, even people who have
less experience in the technical field (note that I said "less
experience", not "no experience" ;)).

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=94625
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/transifex/
http://pootle.wordforge.org/