[opensuse-translation] Translation of update-desktop-files.es.po (lcn)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:40:17 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

This file is complicated to translate. It is large, over 6000 messages. It uses the new format with "msgctxt" strings, which makes it unmanageable for poedit, because this program simply deletes them all, destroying the file, in fact.

I would like to request developers to split it up in smaller files, too - at least till we get kaider running one of these years.
Any chance? O:-)

Then, I have doubts. Too many. I'll pick one or two at random:

#: /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kaudiocreator.desktop
msgctxt "Name(kaudiocreator.desktop)"
msgid "KAudioCreator"
msgstr "KAudioCreator"

#: /opt/kde3/share/applications/kde/kbabel.desktop
#: /usr/share/applications/kde4/kbabel.desktop
msgctxt "Name(kbabel.desktop)"
msgid "KBabel"
msgstr "KBabel"

It appears those entries are program names. Can we translate them? Should we? Is it just a name, or is it used as a token elsewhere, and thus translation can have consequences? Or do we write a description?

For instance, I feel I could translate like "programname (descriptive translation)" so that the translated name has a meaning for the non english speaking user.

For instance, a previous translator (not in our group did) did this:

#: /opt/kde3/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers/helix.desktop
msgctxt "Name(helix.desktop)"
msgid "Helix"
msgstr "Hélice"

Where "Hélice" is screw like in a boat or airplane, or in maths or geometry. Obviously this is incorrect, Helix is a program o library. Or is it? Do I restore it to "helix"? But if I put back the english word, why then is the string in the .po file at all?

Obviously, my predecesor (years ago?) had similar doubts to mine and little time or nobody to ask.

You see the dilemma? Sometimes the .po file needs some help or context info from the developers, what's their intention for those messages... This is more dificult for us amateur translators than for profesionals.

More doubts...

#: /opt/kde3/share/apps/carddecks/cards-hard-a-port/index.desktop
#: /usr/share/kde4/apps/carddecks/cards-hard-a-port/index.desktop
msgctxt "Name(index.desktop)"
msgid "Hard a Port"
msgstr "Todo a babor"

In this context, is it the nautical expression "hard a port" or is it something else I don't know?

#: /usr/share/applications/banshee.desktop
# Cer: dudoso
msgctxt "Name(banshee.desktop)"
msgid "Helix Banshee"
msgstr "Reproductor de música Helix Banshee"

Same thing, is it a program name that should not be translated (then why is it there?) or should I translate the meaning or put a description, or what?

- -- Cheers,