Re: [opensuse-translation] Error messages translation
  • From: Жарко Михајловић <developer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:14:00 +0200
Дана среда 24 октобар 2007, Ladislav Michnovič је написао:

The best way how to translate strings is to use a sentence which will
have the same meaning for the people regardless how you translate it.
I sometimes totally change the sentence and use a longer description
for some IT words which have no equivalent in Slovak.

One nice saying / joke about this problem: "Translation is much like a woman;
if it's beautiful, it's not faithful, if it is faithful, it's not beautiful"

Faithful = literal...

There must be some accommodations if we intend not to be just another good
laugh ;-)

--
Стојте, галије царске! Спутајте крме моћне!
Газите тихим ходом!

http://www.cirilica.org/dokumenti/dokumenti.jezik.html
< Previous Next >