Re: [opensuse-translation] OpenSUSE 10.3 - 1st translation round starts
Well, my opinion that variant b) is more acceptable for us, reason:

some words that are translated
differently in different contexts will look silly
(e.g. "volume" can refer
to sound or disk-related stuff requiring very different >translation).

Other ideas:

First, In the memory a lot of such situation as above (in any case were a
lot of), during last period, these messages were fixed in the trunk. Sometime,
during the merging from the memory, we had in the trunk strings, which marked
as good but really with the mistakes.
Next, at the current time, we have trunk fully (98%) corrected. We do this
job since suse 10.0, each next version (I mean translation) more better. And,
if we will following variant c), we may damage our work in the trunk.
At the past (mostly during translation version 10.2), I often have the
following situation: grand update of trunk from translators side, a lot of
strings corrected. Next round come or next merging occurs in the trunk, we have
new strings for translating, and all old strings which were corrected and
updated in trunk still present here as untouched (I mean as not corrected)!!!
Several times I have shock. Karl do for me rollback. So, before merging, memory
was not updated from trunk??? During the current round (version 10.3) situation
more better, above situation never occur (and hope never will).

So, according above mentioned, I suggest the following:
1. Clean up current memory
2. Build new memory on base of the current trunk
3. New strings put in the trunk from memory marked only as fuzzy
4. The very new string, which are comes from developers, search in the
memory, a) if the result of searching by words more than 80%, mark as
fuzzy;
b) if less not take translation from memory at all;
c) never mark as translated.
5. Simultaneously, put new messages in the trunk for translation, with the
marks fuzzy or not translated, see item 4;
6. More often update memory from the trunk, as trunk is continuously
updated by translators.
7. And last. I’d like ask developers, I mean programmers, put more
comments for translating of the strings. Sometimes, very difficult to define
true meaning of the string.

Kindly regards
Aleksey Osipov