Re: [opensuse-translation] OpenSUSE 10.3 - 1st translation round starts
Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Den Friday 20 July 2007 14:54:11 skrev Karl Eichwalder:
Merging is done. All yast and lcn files are ready for the 1st
translation round.

Hm.. it seems that we have translations from "memory" again that are not
marked fuzzy and thus impossible to check.

Yes, see the attached mails; maybe, they did not make it through. I
probably cannot the overall process right now -- we partially might
depend on the feature to move messages from one module to the other
easily. ATM, this works via memories.

Checking multi-line helps texts is rather tedious.

I completely agree with you that that's dangerous and I sure I can
improve the process for > 10.3.

To make sure this doesn't happen we would need to proof read the entire file,
instead of just the new strings.

I'd propose to merge the files on your own, ignoring the memories.
Check out the previous version (= unmerged) and call msgmerge manually
(untested):

ll=MY_LANGUAGE
cd 50-pot
svn up
for f in *.pot; do
m=${f%pot}$ll.po
if [ -f ../$ll/po/$m ]; then
msgmerge -U ../$ll/po/$m $f
else
msgcat -o ../$ll/po/$m --use-first ../50-memory/head-info.$ll.po $f
fi
done

Of course one solution would be to fix all errors in the memory files, but
that's not really feasible since the lcn one is >10.000 strings, and the yast
one is just huuuuuuuuge.

The memory files are not static. If I update a memory file, contents
from regular .po files always win.

Maybe in the future useful and trustworthy new memory can be generated,
perhaps using only a few select files that we approve.

Yes, that would desirable. In the past I nuked the memory files form
time to time and rebuilt them using the last three versions of the PO
files only. It probably to time for such a cleanup

Don't any of you guys on other teams have these concerns?

You can check your respective memory files here:
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/suse-i18n/trunk/lcn/50-memory/
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/suse-i18n/trunk/yast/50-memory/

For Danish team I only have to look at them for a couple of minutes to find
several errors and translations that break our consistency.

--- Begin Message --- Topics:
Re: [opensuse-translation] update-desktop-files problem
Re: [opensuse-translation] update-desktop-files problem

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

When this stuff is used:
- Are the strings always marked "fuzzy", so intelligent human translators can
easily find them and check them?

No, we use them unconditionally. Yes, that's inherently dangerous. I
already thought about this issue. I wanted I can set the whole memory
of a language as fuzzy; thus translations coming out of a memory would
be marked as fuzzy.

- Is it only applied to untranslated/fuzzy strings or can stuff from the
memory.xx.po replace existing translations?

Theoretically, replacing translation is possible, but we never do it

- Is there an easy way of telling whether a *.po has been "affected"? For
example by the revision date being strangely old?

No such check is implemented at the moment.

R&D / Documentation

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Am Sat 14 Jul 2007 07:17:45 PM CEST schrieb Martin Schlander