Re: [opensuse-translation] Tier-2 languages in RC1
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:38:24 +0100
Torsdag 23 november 2006 18:23 skrev Olav Pettershagen:
> I can understand that you may have to download the extra "language CD" with
> the downloadable version of openSUSE but not including it in the box makes
> very little sense to me.
>
> The reason why many people (me included) buy a box in stead of downloading
> ISO's is low bandwidth (apart from the convenience of course). It would be
> very disappointing to buy the openSuse box and then discover that you still
> had to download an add-on CD if you want a localized version.
>
> I hope you are wrong about this.

I hope so too, but I don't think so. I asked on IRC why there were only
yast-translations for tier2 on the dvd5 of rc1, the answer was that
translations had been removed from dvd5 because there were no room for tier2
translations on dvd9, and to avoid paying customers having a worse product
than the mooching downloaders, translations were thus removed from dvd5 too.

I'd very much like to know which packages are so much more important than the
translations. Since the dvd5 is now only 3,4 gigs. Besides 64-bit OOo was
dropped, so the dvd9 will only have one set of OOo packages, you would think
that dvd9 should have plenty of space to include the x86, x86_64 and noarch
packages from the dvd5s, and then some. But obviously something a lot more
important than our translations must be on the dvd9, even though cd and dvd5
does fine without it, whatever it is. I don't get it, at all.

Martin