Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-translation-ru (10 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-translation-ru] Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-marketing] Call for help translation of osc'12 program announcement
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:38:44 +0200
On Wednesday 26 September 2012 15:18:09 Tony Su wrote:
Hello Jan (and whoever else receives this, I'm not subscribed to all
the mail-lists on CC)

Yes, it's quite possible that the initial translations might not be
"good enough" -- and ultimately since machine translations today still
cannot usually provide better than word for word literal word
substitution, "good enough" is probably best defined as understandable
although not with the smooth idiomatic linguistic structures that can
best be provided by a human being.

What machine translation can provide is the ability to get the proper
meaning across, to communicate an idea properly. And, if human
resources aren't available, this is better than no communication at
all.

As for accuracy... Particularly for short, "standard expressions" that
crop up again and again in the types of documents we produce,
Web-based translations provide a means for anyone to submit an
improvement or correction. Assuming that Google or Microsoft or
whoever is used as the Translation Partner properly evaluates, accepts
and implements suggestions for future use of the same expression, we
should expect that within rather short order future documents should
be translated extremely well.

If there is any interest in openSUSE/SUSE to investiggate the
capabilities of this technology, a project should be designated that
can properly evaluate whether machine translation is worthless or
promising and if desired I am willing to shepherd it.

'shepherd' or 'do' ;-)

I wouldn't know what would be needed to actually TEST this out - but you're
right that there are plenty of pages not translated in plenty of languages.

Quite a few of our sites are in github, maybe you can set up a test version
with a translation system of, say, openbuildservice.org: fork
https://github.com/openSUSE/o-b-s.org and add the translation system, then
run it somewhere so ppl can check it out. If it's better than what we have
(and from your comments I take it it will be) you can just make a merge
request to the github repo and the maintainers get it up. And done, one
down, a dozen to go :D

Then there is the wiki. How do we support our translators with this, can
google translate be helpful for that? For example, maybe it is possible to
have an auto-translate run over our wiki pages so all pages get translations
in say the basic 25 languages or so. Then people can edit as things used to
are...

Is that possible? Is there a mediawiki tool which can crawl our
en.opensuse.org wiki and, for pages that have no de.opensuse.org,
fr.opensuse.org etc etc equivalents, create and fill them? If you 'just'
manage to do that, our wiki has become far more accessible to non-native
speakers...

Cheers,
Jos

Tony