Re: [opensuse-testing] VMware / GNOME 3 mystery
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <bernhardout@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:49:35 +0200

Am 25.06.2011 05:10, schrieb M. Edward (Ed) Borasky:
I have two machines, both running openSUSE 11.4 with GNOME 3 desktops.
Both are 64-bit with 4 GB of RAM and both have VMware Workstation 7.1.4
installed.

One of them works fine (a desktop) but the other, a laptop, has a
bizarre issue. When VMware Workstation is running, at certain
unpredictable times, the desktop logs out all the way to the login
prompt, killing the VMware processes.

I know a little bit about what's happening - when I use the GTK
libraries that come with VMware rather than those in openSUSE, this
doesn't happen. There's an environment variable setting

VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK="force"

that does this, and when I have that set, everything works. Two questions:

1. Has anyone else seen this? I'm going to explore the VMware forums to
see if they have any clues, but since I have a workaround, I'm guessing
VMware Workstation isn't using the newer GTK libraries from GNOME 3
correctly and there's nothing broken in openSUSE. I don't know why this
should crash the whole session down to a login prompt, though.

2. Is there any way I can figure out what's happening in more detail?
It's very sudden and I haven't seen any crash dumps anywhere. Is there a
way to run "gdm" with a debugger and get a stack trace or something?

my guess is that the gnome session crashes.
when gdm restarted, there could be some info in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
or /var/log/gdm something

Ciao
Bernhard M.