Re: [opensuse-support] Overall 42.3 responsiveness way down. SSD going/gone bad?

I suspect that in your case, trimming is disabled.

It turns out I had set discard as a filesystem option when formatting all EXT4
filesystems on the
PNY SSD. So, continuous trim was on, as well as the fstrim.timer engaged, since
30 January. As yet
I've found nothing about the ramifications of trying to use both at the same
time.

To recap, the 120G PNY SSD gave:

when new:
# hdparm -t
/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 770 MB in 3.00 seconds = 256.62 MB/sec

of late:
# hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 22 MB in 3.10 seconds = 7.09 MB/sec

I've replaced the PNY with this XPG 128G SSD:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16820215167

I forgot to save hdparm -t output of the XPG before putting it into boot
service. I do remember
running it at the time with both 42.3 and TW and getting 528.## with both.

Now that it's been in use 3 days, it's already down:
hdparm -t /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing buffered disk reads: 1524 MB in 3.00 seconds = 507.78 MB/sec

But, only just 2 hours ago I turned off discard as a mount option, and haven't
yet rebooted. The
fstrim timer isn't due until tonight, so I guess I'll be rebooting some time
before then.

I emailed PNY about the 97% throughput loss according to its own RMA
instructions provided by
multiple locations over 72 hours ago, and filled out its technical support web
form for same at the
same time; no response to either as yet. :-(

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/