Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 12:19:40 +0100
Peter Suetterlin <pit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

Telcontar:~/Documents/lists/swapoff_test # time swapoff -a
swapoff: /dev/sde1: swapoff failed: Cannot allocate memory

real 0m0.010s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.003s

Interesting, so it seems that OOM killer doesn't get triggered in
such a case. Would that be expected, or a bug?

I'd hope it would be expected. The swapoff fails, you get told and can
shut down whichever processes you choose to free up enough memory. Or
you can change your mind about shutting down swap. Versus, the OOM
killer is invoked, randomly kills off a selection of your processes,
and the swapoff succeeds. I know which I would prefer.