Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-11-19 14:49]:
On 11/02/2019 14.17, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op maandag 11 februari 2019 11:21:26 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
On Monday, 2019-02-11 at 11:12 +0100, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:

El 2019-02-11 a las 11:12 +0100, Knurpht-openSUSE escribió:
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:12:08 +0100
From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-support@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop

Op maandag 11 februari 2019 09:30:10 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
[1] My previous laptop had 4 GB RAM, this one 16 GB - both had a full
server stack (LAMP, Dovecot etc.) + KDE running

But I have only 8.

Like I have, and swap is only touched by suspend. LAMP stack running, most
of the time both Chrome and FF open, editing video, pictures etc.
I'm wondering how many tabs FF has open, what these tabs are.

After killing firefox (I restarted Thunderbird half an hour ago) I still
have 2.3 GB in swap. After killing Th it is the same figure (using alpine
to post this).

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buff/cache
available
Mem: 7.8G 950M 5.6G 28M 1.3G
6.6G Swap: 23G 2.2G 21G
Telcontar:~ #

But, I get 5.6G free, and 1.3 in buff/cache temporarily. With no swap,
free would be 2.2 less.

Having swap increases free memory, not the other way round. It makes the
system actually faster. That's a common misconception, that having swap
makes the system slower. No. What makes it slower is needing to use swap
because there is not enough ram.

None of you have looked at the logs in the other post that indicate that
the culprit of my problems can be alsa.

Why do you insist on your own interpretations? Not a single poster here has
confirmed seeing what you see. And alsa is definitely not the culprit
IMNSHO.

When the replies say ridiculous things I ignore them, sorry.

you may consider valid comments as rediculous, but that only hinders your
search for a solution.

Don't worry, I will try swapoff when I get back home and I have 5 gigs
used in swap. It will be interesting.

(from openSUSE 15.0 (Legolas))