Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-11-19 05:23]:

On Monday, 2019-02-11 at 11:12 +0100, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:

El 2019-02-11 a las 11:12 +0100, Knurpht-openSUSE escribió:

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 11:12:08 +0100
From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: opensuse-support@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop

Op maandag 11 februari 2019 09:30:10 CET schreef Carlos E. R.:
[1] My previous laptop had 4 GB RAM, this one 16 GB - both had a full
server stack (LAMP, Dovecot etc.) + KDE running

But I have only 8.
Like I have, and swap is only touched by suspend. LAMP stack running, most
of
the time both Chrome and FF open, editing video, pictures etc.
I'm wondering how many tabs FF has open, what these tabs are.

After killing firefox (I restarted Thunderbird half an hour ago) I still
have 2.3 GB in swap. After killing Th it is the same figure (using alpine to
post this).

Telcontar:~ # free -h
total used free shared buff/cache
available
Mem: 7.8G 950M 5.6G 28M 1.3G
6.6G
Swap: 23G 2.2G 21G
Telcontar:~ #

But, I get 5.6G free, and 1.3 in buff/cache temporarily. With no swap, free
would be 2.2 less.

Having swap increases free memory, not the other way round. It makes the
system actually faster. That's a common misconception, that having swap
makes the system slower. No. What makes it slower is needing to use swap
because there is not enough ram.

just turn swap off and see. you think you know but you refuse to try. It
is simple: swapoff
that only turns swap off until you reboot or turn it back on. it changes
no config files. I have been running my main workstation for years w/o
swap.

and it is simple to turn on additional temporary swap to a temporary file
on your hard drive, also w/o changing any config files. and very easy to
recover the temp swap file.

issue "swapoff" and let your system run for a while to test. if you don't
like the way it performs, issue "swapon" to use it again.