Re: [opensuse-support] Unresponsive desktop
Hello,

Am Sonntag, 3. Februar 2019, 14:33:24 CET schrieb Carlos E. R.:
After several days running, this morning it locked as soon as I
changed workspaces. I noticed kswapd0 was busy long time, and that
firefox had about 10 gigs of virtual memory. The disk activity led
was solid blue. I couldn't find out more, the machine froze and had
to be hard rebooted.

It's probably not the answer you are looking for, but I'll propose it
nevertheless:

Disable your swap.

Obviously that means that you'll have less "memory" available, but IMHO
that has some advantages:
- you avoid the "swap to death" situation (freezing the system while
swapping)
- programs eating up RAM get killed earlier, and you get an OOM killer
log entry that tells you which process ate too much RAM

Personally, I don't use swap since years [1], and I'm completely happy
with it. I remember a few rare cases where a program ate up memory and
was killed, but the alternative would have been to let it swap, fill the
swap, and then being killed - after freezing the system (aka "swap to
death") for a while ;-)

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] My previous laptop had 4 GB RAM, this one 16 GB - both had a full
server stack (LAMP, Dovecot etc.) + KDE running

--
Aber was macht [KDE] bei mir? Es zeigt xterms und Hintergrundbilder an.
Aus meiner Sicht ist letzteres die Funktion, die es am besten